What is a Firmware Update?
‘Firmware’ can be described as a specific class of software that is responsible for determining how a piece of hardware functions. Lightwave devices are capable of receiving over-the-air firmware updates through the Link Plus hub. Available firmware updates are identified on each device tile within the Lightwave app (see the screenshot below).
Some recent Lightwave firmware updates include additional device features such as energy monitoring, push notifications, and new automations.
What is Firmware v5.0?
Along with routine bug fixes and continuous improvements to User Experience, our latest Firmware v5.0 is a significant step forward which provides several new features and a solid foundation for exciting future developments:
- Auto-Calibration v3.0: improves lamp compatibility, dimming performance and detects presence of neutral wire.
- On/Off Discrete Switch: if a neutral wire is present, any gang of a Smart Dimmer can become a Smart Switch. This feature allows non-dimmable lamps to be compatible with our dimmers.
- Soft-Start Dimming: manual button press-and-hold dimming response time is vastly improved.
- Two-Way Wizard: improvements to the ‘two-way switching’ automation. Select the ‘Master’ device and the ‘Slave’ devices are automatically configured.
Firmware update, step-by-step
- In the Lightwave app, long press on device tile to enter the Device Page.
- Device Page > Settings > Firmware Update (If this screen displays the message “your device is up to date”, this means that a firmware update is not available for your device at this time.)
- If the firmware update has been made available, click on the “Update” button.
- If the firmware update is available for multiple devices, go ahead and push ‘Update’ on each individual device in the app. This will create a queue, and each device will update one after another.
- Once the firmware is complete you will get an app notification and shortly after the updated dimmer will perform an AUTO CALIBRATION (flash Green) which will turn your lights ON and OFF. This will help find the optimum dimming levels required to run the connected circuits. When the calibration is complete the LED indicator will revert to its previous state.
- Now you can pop back into the app and enjoy checking out the new features and fixes!
Your device and your Link Plus hub will begin to flash blue rapidly. This may take several minutes per device.