1. What is the difference between Generation 1 & 2 products?
Generation 2 represents the latest Lightwave devices launched after October 2017. They are called Generation 2 as they require the new Generation of the Lightwave hub the 'Link Plus' in order to operate. Pre-existing devices are referred to as Generation 1 and can work with the original Lightwave Link or the new Link Plus.
2. What are the main new features of the Generation 2 products?
Generation 2 products will feature Apple HomeKit compatibility, built-in energy monitoring, wire-free 2-way switching, and 2-way communication. Generation 2 products will be able to receive updates over the air, so more new features will be rolled out over time.
3. Will Generation 1 devices work with the Generation 2 Link Plus?
Yes, Generation 1 devices can be controlled using the Generation 2 Link Plus through the Lightwave mobile and web apps. Generation 1 devices will still be able to be controlled by Amazon Echo, Google Home, IFTTT, and Nest.
4. Will Generation 1 devices be Apple HomeKit compatible?
The following Generation 1 devices will be Apple HomeKit compatible:
- Home Thermostat (LW921)
- Radiator Valve (LW922)
- Electric Switch (LW934)
Unfortunately, all other Generation 1 devices will not be compatible with Apple HomeKit. This is due to a hardware requirement imposed by Apple that all HomeKit compatible devices must have two-way communication. Since our Generation 1 devices were engineered with one-way communication, they are not eligible for HomeKit certification and therefore will not be able to be controlled using Apple HomeKit.
5. Will Generation 2 devices work with the Generation 1 Link?
No, Generation 2 devices will not be able to be controlled by the Generation 1 Link.
6. Which app do I use to control my Generation 2 devices?
Please use the new iOS app, Lightwave Link Plus, to control your Generation 2 devices. You can also control Generation 1 devices through this app.
7. Should I use the Lightwave App or Apple HomeKit to control my Generation 2 products?
If you'd like to control all your Generation 1 and 2 devices from one app, we recommend using the new Lightwave Link Plus app. If you'd like access to advanced functionality on day one, including automations, we recommend using the Apple Home app. Enhancements and additional functionalities will be added to the Lightwave Link Plus app over the next month and beyond.
8. Where can I find out more about Apple HomeKit?
Please see this article on Apple's website regarding setting up and operating HomeKit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057
9. Do I need to replace all my Generation 1 devices with Generation 2 devices?
No, Generation 1 products will still be completely functional and will continue to be supported by Lightwave.
10. If I buy a Generation 2 link plus , Can I simultaneously control dimmers and switches from both Generation 1 and 2.
Yes, a Generation 2 Link Plus will be able to send commands to Generation 1 and Generation 2. However, any commands sent through the Apple Home app will only control Generation 2 products.
11. Will Lightwave have a buy back programme for current customers to upgrade to Generation 2 products?
There are currently no plans to offer a buy back programme for Generation 1 products.
12. Will Generation 2 products be able to receive firmware and software updates over the air?
Yes, Generation 2 products will have the ability to receive updates over the air.
13. What is 2-way communication?
2-way communication allows a user to see the status of their devices through the app. For example, when a user opens the app, they can see if a dimmer or a socket is currently on or off.
14. What other Generation 2 devices are in development?
Generation 2 versions of many of our existing product range are under development. However, at this time, we are not able to disclose when these products will be released. If you would like to stay updated on when new products will be released, please sign up for our newsletter.
15. Where can I buy Generation 2 products?
Generation 2 products will be available to be purchased at the following: apple.com, lightwaverf.com, Apple retail stores in the UK and UAE, and select other retailers.